Frequently Asked Questions
About Garage Doors
Quick, efficient, and reliable service.
Garage Doors & More: Who We Are
Owner Sean Luby has over 25 years of Residential Construction experience and has been in the garage door industry for almost 20 years.
Sean learned how to provide products durable enough to endure the hurricanes in South Florida, and beautiful product designs that add to the unique home styles in Nashville. Sean is able to bring both of these aspects to Northwest Arkansas, where the community thrives with both their beauty and strength.
Sean is committed to providing each customer with honest, reliable and personable service. Sean will walk you through all of your options so that you will feel confident with your choice.
He will also assist you in designing a door that adds to the beauty of your home and the functionality you’d expect.
Please review some of the frequently asked questions that our customers have about new garage doors, garage door repair and maintenance. If you have a question that isn’t mentioned below, please contact us.
What are the top Trends for new Garage Doors?
The top trends in new garage doors for homes include:
- Smart Technology: Homeowners are increasingly looking for garage doors that can be controlled and monitored remotely using smart devices such as smartphones or voice assistants. This allows for greater convenience and security.
- Contemporary Designs: Clean and modern garage door designs have become popular in recent years. This includes sleek designs with clean lines, and the use of materials such as glass and aluminum.
- Customization: Custom garage doors that are designed to match the architectural style of the home have become increasingly popular. This includes unique features such as custom colors, finishes, and hardware.
- Energy Efficiency: As homeowners become more environmentally conscious, energy-efficient garage doors that help to reduce energy consumption have become more popular. These doors can be insulated and have weather-stripping to keep heat from escaping.
- Durability: Homeowners are looking for garage doors that are built to last and can withstand extreme weather conditions. This has led to the popularity of garage doors made from materials such as steel or aluminum.
- Quiet Operation: Garage doors that operate quietly are becoming more popular, especially for homes where the garage is attached to the house. This can be achieved using sound-dampening materials and quieter motors.
Overall, these trends reflect a desire for garage doors that are not only functional and durable but also stylish and energy efficient. Garage Doors & More has a large selection of new garage doors that take advantage of these top trends.
What should a buyer consider when Garage Door Shopping?
When shopping for a garage door, there are several factors that a buyer should consider:
- Material: Garage doors are available in several different materials, including steel, aluminum, wood, and composites. Each material has its own strengths and weaknesses, so consider which one is best for your needs.
- Style: Garage doors come in a variety of styles, including traditional, carriage house, and contemporary/modern. Consider which style will complement the architecture of your home.
- Insulation: Insulated garage doors can help keep your garage and home more comfortable and energy efficient. Consider the level of insulation you need based on your climate and heating/cooling needs.
- Safety features: Look for garage doors that have safety features such as pinch-resistant panels, tamper-resistant brackets, and automatic reversing mechanisms.
- Maintenance: Consider the level of maintenance required for each type of garage door. For example, wood doors may require more maintenance than steel or aluminum doors.
- Cost: Garage doors can vary greatly in price, so consider your budget and weigh the cost against the durability and features of each type of door.
- Professional installation: Proper installation is critical to ensure the safety and longevity of your garage door. Look for a reputable and experienced garage door installer to ensure that the door is installed correctly.
By considering these factors, a buyer can choose a garage door that is safe, functional, and visually appealing. Garage Doors & More can help find you the right door for your home. Contact us today!
Does a New Garage Door add value to a home?
Yes, a new garage door can add value to a home. In fact, according to the 2021 Cost vs. Value Report by Remodeling Magazine, a new garage door has one of the highest returns on investment among all home improvement projects. The report found that homeowners can recoup an average of 93.8% of the cost of a new garage door upon resale.
There are several reasons why a new garage door can add value to a home. For one, it can improve the overall curb appeal of the home, which is a major factor in home value. A new garage door can also increase the security of the home, as newer doors often come with more advanced locking mechanisms and safety features. Additionally, a new garage door can improve the energy efficiency of the home by providing better insulation and reducing air leaks.
However, it’s important to choose a garage door that is appropriate for the home’s style and architecture, as well as the surrounding neighborhood. It’s also important to choose a high-quality door and have it installed professionally to ensure that it functions properly and safely.
Garage Doors & More can install new garage doors or repair your existing garage doors.
What are some Important Garage Door Safety Tips?
Garage doors can be heavy and can pose a serious safety risk if not used properly. Here are some important garage door safety tips to keep in mind:
- Keep children and pets away from the garage door: Never allow children or pets to play near the garage door, as they can be injured by the door or its moving parts.
- Test the safety features: Test the garage door’s safety features, such as the auto-reverse mechanism, on a regular basis to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Do not attempt to repair the door yourself: Garage doors can be dangerous and complex, so it’s important to leave repairs to a qualified professional.
- Keep the area around the garage door clear: Make sure the area around the garage door is free of debris, toys, and other objects, as they can prevent the door from opening or closing properly.
- Use the garage door opener properly: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using the garage door opener, and do not allow children to play with the remote control.
- Keep the garage door in sight: Keep the garage door in sight while it is opening or closing, and do not walk or drive underneath it until it has completely stopped moving.
- Keep the door closed: Keep the garage door closed at all times, even when you are home, to prevent unauthorized access.
- Press the wall button before entering your vehicle. This helps prevent most garage door accidents with your vehicle.
By following these garage door safety tips, you can help prevent accidents and ensure the safe operation of your garage door.
What are the possible causes of a noisy garage door?
A noisy garage door can be caused by several factors, including:
- Worn or damaged rollers: The rollers on the garage door track can become worn or damaged over time, causing the door to make a grinding or squeaking noise.
- Loose hardware: The nuts, bolts, and other hardware that hold the garage door together can become loose over time, causing the door to rattle or vibrate.
- Misaligned tracks: If the tracks that guide the garage door are not properly aligned, the door can scrape against the sides of the tracks and make a loud noise.
- Broken springs: The springs that help lift and lower the garage door can break over time, causing the door to make a loud banging noise. You should never attempt to open your garage door with a broken spring.
- Worn out hinges: The hinges that connect the different sections of the garage door can become worn out and cause the door to make a popping or creaking noise.
- Lack of lubrication: If the garage door parts are not properly lubricated, they can cause friction and make a loud noise when the door is opening or closing.
To fix a noisy garage door, it’s important to identify the underlying cause and address it. This may involve tightening loose hardware, replacing worn-out rollers, realigning the tracks, replacing broken springs, lubricating moving parts, or repairing or replacing worn-out hinges. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help prevent future noise problems.
Garage Doors & More encourages you to have your garage door system professionally inspected. These inspections are normally performed based on the individual customer’s needs quarterly, semi-annually or annually.
What are some causes of heat loss in your garage?
There are several causes of heat loss in a garage, including:
- Poor insulation: If your garage is not properly insulated, heat will escape through the walls, ceiling, and floor.
- Air leaks: Air leaks around doors, windows, and other openings can allow cold air to enter and warm air to escape.
- Lack of weatherstripping: If your garage doors and windows are not properly weather-stripped, cold air can seep in and warm air can escape.
- Poor ventilation: If your garage does not have proper ventilation, moisture can build up and lead to dampness and heat loss.
- Inefficient heating system: If your garage is heated, an inefficient heating system can waste energy and lead to heat loss.
- Structural issues: Structural issues such as cracks in the walls or gaps around the doors and windows can also allow heat to escape.
To minimize heat loss in your garage, consider installing insulation, sealing air leaks, adding weatherstripping, improving ventilation, and using an efficient heating system. Garage Doors & More can perform all of these maintenance and repair services for you.
How does cold weather affect your Garage Door?
Cold weather can have several effects on your garage door, including:
- Metal contracting: In very cold temperatures, metal garage door components can contract, which can cause the door to operate less smoothly or even become jammed.
- Lubrication thickening: Cold temperatures can cause lubricants and other fluids in your garage door system to thicken, which can cause the door to move more slowly or make unusual noises.
- Weather stripping damage: Extremely cold temperatures can cause weather stripping around your garage door to become brittle and crack, which can lead to air leaks and drafts.
- Electrical problems: Cold temperatures can cause electrical components in your garage door opener to malfunction, which can prevent the door from opening or closing properly.
- Ice accumulation: If water or moisture gets into the garage door mechanism, it can freeze and cause the door to become stuck or operate less smoothly.
To prevent cold weather-related issues with your garage door, it’s important to perform regular maintenance and inspections. This can include lubricating moving parts with a cold-weather lubricant, checking weather stripping for damage, and ensuring that electrical components are functioning properly.
If you live in an area with harsh winter weather, you may want to consider installing a garage door with enhanced insulation or weather sealing to help protect against cold air and moisture.
Contact Garage Doors & More today for garage door maintenance and repair.
- Prairie Creek
- Pea Ridge
- Elm Springs
- Lost Bridge Village
- Eureka Springs
- Holiday Island
- War Eagle
- Prairie Grove